1.1K views
2.3
Additional Fees
Insurance Plans Acceptance

Smartride may be a reliable plug in of your driving, but Nationwide is unethical in their offering up to 40% discount and probably never give it.

My husband and I both put these in our vehicles to get better rates. We started the term mid-term policy which made us have to have them in MUCH MUCH longer than we had anticipated as X number of days has to fall in the policy term and Nationwide only offers 6 month term policies. (so they can raise your rates every 6 months).

My smartride showed I was a very safe driver, no night time driving, only a handful of hard brakes...and that was when someone would pull out in front of me...., only a few fast accelerations, but where they got me was mileage. Now mind you, I only have 24K on a 2012 vehicle. I only drive 1 1/2 miles to work each way, but I do other driving to visit family. I was to receive 19% discount.

My husband had very few miles (he had surgery in between), but when he did drive, he racked up the hard brakes and fast accelerations. He earned a 21% discount.

The fine, fine print says they only give the discounts on 4 categories: Collisiion, Property Damage, Bodily Injury, and Medical Payments. And, when I figured up what our next billing should be, we did not get the discounts promised.

I was told by my Agent that THEY (Nationwide) will always find some way to get there money. We ended up with more like a 12% discount, which got hiked the next 6 month renewal.

I am considering writing to our STATE INSURANCE COMMISIONER about all the rate hikes, and the Smartride hype.

Also, did you look at your policy terms? Are we paying an extra day each 6 months for insurance? There is an overlap on dates.

NOT HAPPY, WILL LOOK TO OTHER COMPANIES FOR INSURANCE

Product or Service Mentioned: Nationwide Mutual Insurance Smartride Rewards Program.

Reason of review: Not as described.

I didn't like: Smartride, Rate increases every 6 months.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Jun 09, 2016.

Comments

So you didn't read the full terms of how a discount would be applied to your coverages and your Agent didn't property explain it to you either so you're upset with the company that offered you a program that could only provide you a discount? .....um how did that complaint go? I imagine they spent less time on it then the 2 minutes to reply to this review.

to Anonymous #1547617

Anonymous ... Obviously an arrogant insurance troll!

Go crawl under rock. Next time sign your name you big chicken.